We often write about making ice cream with an ice cream maker, mostly because we don't know how to do it any other way. Ok, well, there is the plastic bag method and a few others, but recently we got an email from the folks at Eagle Brand Condensed Milk with a great offer for both us and for our readers (yes, coming to that) and some great ideas for how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker! How exciting!
Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of it, because when I used their condensed milk to make that lemonade pie, it was very ice cream-y and I didn't even need to use my ice cream maker.
So our friends over at Eagle said they wanted to send us an ice cream kit (um, ok!), try out making some ice cream with their condensed milk, ask our readers to try making some with the condensed milk, and then finally, ask our readers to submit their recipes so they too can win one of two ice cream kits.
So to start, let's keep our eye on the prize...you can win exactly what we got in the mail:
- Three cans of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (one each of regular, low fat, and non-fat)
- An awesome insulated picnic basket
- A Zak! Designs Insulated Ice Cream Container
- An ice cream scoop
- An ice cream pint cozie
- Assorted Smuckers toppings
- Frozen pop molds
- A Walmart gift card to get the supplies you need to make more ice cream
- Go to Eagle Brand and look over the ice cream recipes to use as inspiration. Get inspired and make up (and test) your own recipe! You can make straight up ice cream or an ice cream dessert, but it MUST use Eagle Brand Condensed Milk. It's preferred that you make this without an ice cream maker so we can appeal to the masses, but you can use your ice cream maker if you must.
- Blog about your recipe and be sure to include a picture of the finished product! Send us the link to your recipe. If you don't have a blog, send us a write up and picture and we'll get your recipe up for our readers to see.
- Enter by Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 11:59PM EST
- We'll have a readers vote the following week and the top two winners will win the prize pack from Eagle.
- PLEASE NOTE: We can only ship prizes within the US due to high shipping costs and coupon restrictions! If you fill out the survey and DO win but do not live in the US, you can opt to have your prize mailed to someone in the states. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!
We tried it out and it is definitely pretty cool that you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker.
- 1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used the low fat, and yes, my can got a little crushed in the mail -- but it still worked just fine!)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Whip heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form
- Mix condensed milk, orange extract, and orange juice in a separate bowl
- Fold whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture
- Freeze for about 5 hours