Tuesday, July 28, 2009

There's always room for Jell-O...Except in my Ice Cream

So I was getting ready for my ice cream party and Kevin reminded me that he has a diabetic friend coming to the party. Out of my thirty-some flavors, I had none that were sugar-free. (As my friend Lisa watches me type, she says, rightly so, "Yeah, why would you? Cuz who wants sugar-free ice cream?") She should go ask Alice. Alice is Kevin's diabetic friend.

Anyway, this sparked something in my head that reminded me I had wanted to try making ice cream with Jell-O. So I went out and bought sugar-free jello, used one og my recipes but replaced the sugar with Jell-O, made some adjustments to keep it from tasting too aspertamey, and put it in the fridge to cool. I won't bore you with the details because it didn't work.

I went a couple of days later to churn it and...I had a creamsicle flavored Jell-O mold. And it wasn't very good...

I don't really know why I thought this would work and didn't think about the fact that it would jell as gelatin does, but it might be the thirty flavors I had made in a period of weeks and my head wasn't on straight.

Anyway, this is one of those things: let well enough alone. Jell-O is awesome alone, as is ice cream...

Buuuuuut, I have heard there are some good Jell-O recipes that use ice cream...maybe we'll feature some of those soon!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Cold Stone is advertising two limited edition flavors this Summer that have Jell-o pudding in them. I haven't been over to try them yet.

Unknown said...

oooh, thanks Janelle! I will have to check it out!

scrackle said...

It's much tool late now, but what about making an ice cream sweetened with the powder from that plant - what is it called? the Salvia? is that it? Or with that other sweetener designed for diabetics that is made from corn starch? OR one could make an ice cream that is a fruit flavor sweetened just with fruit juice, that simply uses no added sugar. It wouldn't be as sweet as "normal" ice cream but...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails