Thursday, July 23, 2009

Happy National Vanilla Ice Cream Day!

Happy National Vanilla Ice Cream Day! There are two kinds of favorites I am going to write about here...when I have time to make it and when I don't...

When I have time to make it, I use this recipe:

Vanilla Ice Cream
  • 4 cups heavy cream
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste if you prefer)
  1. Pour cream into saucepan and heat to just before it begins to simmer.
  2. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks and sugar until thickened.
  3. Slowly add the hot cream into the egg mixture while beating them together.
  4. Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
  5. Strain mixture through a strainer into a clean bowl. Allow it to cool slightly and add the vanilla.
  6. Refrigerate overnight (or until completely cooled).
  7. Pour in ice cream maker and churn.

If I don't have time to make it? Brigham's French Vanilla all the way. They told me they discontinued it (and I still can't find it on their site), but I keep finding it on the shelves. I'm not complaining!

[Scoopalicious is celebrating National Ice Cream month with a Post-A-Day throughout the month of July!]

Ice cream image by ctechs at stockxchng.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails