When I have time to make it, I use this recipe:
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste if you prefer)
- Pour cream into saucepan and heat to just before it begins to simmer.
- Meanwhile beat the egg yolks and sugar until thickened.
- Slowly add the hot cream into the egg mixture while beating them together.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain mixture through a strainer into a clean bowl. Allow it to cool slightly and add the vanilla.
- Refrigerate overnight (or until completely cooled).
- Pour in ice cream maker and churn.
If I don't have time to make it? Brigham's French Vanilla all the way. They told me they discontinued it (and I still can't find it on their site), but I keep finding it on the shelves. I'm not complaining!
[Scoopalicious is celebrating National Ice Cream month with a Post-A-Day throughout the month of July!]
Ice cream image by ctechs at stockxchng.