Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recipe: Three Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

On a whim yesterday I bought Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter at the brand new Ocean State Job Lot that opened in town. Well, kind of a whim. I went to OSJL because I remembered sometimes they have some different foods, and I was actually hoping I'd get ice cream inspired. I did. (I also bought my dog a lot of treats -- they have a huge variety! -- but don't worry, that won't go into any ice cream.)

Anyway, I decided to try and alter a recipe we wrote about a while back...but I think this is the second time I had a tough time altering this recipe for other uses (though I have had some success too...)

Despite what I keep thinking, peanut butter and Nutella really don't have similar texture or viscosity.

So the ice cream tastes good (basically, it tastes like a peanut butter cup in ice cream form) and Husband likes the taste and the texture, but I put it in the ice cream maker and it didn't really freeze and it seemed like no air mixed in. The texture before freezing was like a rich, dense gelato and the texture after freezing was like a rich, dense gelato. Which might not be a bad thing.

Once frozen, it was still dense (obviously) but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Like all ice cream, it would benefit from tempering (sitting at room temperature for a few minutes).

In the meantime, here's how you do it and you can be your own judge. 

Mix one 16 ounce jar of Dark Chocolate Dreams (OK, this is starting out to sound like one of those "Recipes for a Successful Marriage" or something you get as a favor at a wedding), one can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1.5 cups of heavy cream.

Put it in the ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's directions. Warning: it probably won't "freeze" too much.

Next time (if there is a next time) maybe more cream would make it better for freezing?

[Scoopalicious is celebrating National Ice Cream month with a Post-A-Day throughout the month of July!]




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails