Tuesday, July 3, 2012

No Ice Cream Maker? No Problem!

We write a blog about frozen treats. Unfortunately, many of our recipes require special equipment: an ice cream maker. While an ice cream maker can be quite affordable, it still takes up space in the kitchen and it's still something else to buy.
Tina and I would probably be lost without our ice cream makers, but that's not to say you can't make your own frozen (and delicious) treats without one. Popsicles can be as simple as juice and a stick in a cup placed in the freezer. Granitas are often frozen in a shallow dish and scraped every so often. 

Ice cream too, can be made without an ice cream maker. Sure, it's a bit more time consuming, but as David Lebovitz says in his great article about ice cream without an ice cream maker, "People have been making ice cream far longer than the invention of electricity so there’s no reason you can’t make ice cream and sorbets at home without a machine."

Just the other day my fabulous sister forwarded along this recipe for Lemon Ice Cream without a machine with a note: "sounds delicious & refreshing!" While neither of us have made it yet, it sounds great.

While I am busy creating a bunch of ice cream for an event I'm having at the end of July, making ice cream without a machine right now isn't an option time-wise. But it's something I'd like to try. I'm curious. Have you ever done it? Was it good?

I'll hopefully test some of these recipes in the future.

1 comment:

whirl + whisk said...

I LOVE making ice cream and I don't own an ice cream maker (never have). It takes me less than 10 minutes to whip it up and about 6 hours to freeze. I love it because I can make any type of ice cream I feel like eating =) plus the warm fuzzies I get from making something awesome all by myself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails