Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On the Goooood Ship Ice Cream...er, um, Lol-li-pop (Shirley Temple Ice Cream)

A couple of weeks ago I found a recipe for Shirley Temple Cupcakes (this was a great recipe, but you have to dig a little further to the Rootbeer Float Recipe to get cooking times/temps...) As a HUGE fan of Shirley Temples (probably the most common of the mocktails) I went and made them right away. What a treat!

When I told Stef at Cupcake Project just how much I loved her drink-made-cupcake recipe, she suggested I try Shirley Temple Ice Cream. Hmmm, I thought, I just might do that. Here is the altered recipe I used to make it:

Shirley Temple Ice Cream, Take 1

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup homemade grenadine (to taste)
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup whole milk

Combine the first five ingredients plus 1/4 cup of grenadine in the top half of your double boiler. Place over simmering water and heat, while beating contantly, until the mixture thickens. This took me about 17 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, and add the lemon extract, the milk, the cream, and the other 1/4 cup of grenadine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Place the chilled mixture in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the ice cream maker manufacturer's directions. Enjoy!

Thoughts? This ice cream was good and creamy, and had a tart taste that was quite refreshing. It reminded me of lemonade pie that my former roommate and I used to make. However, the overwhelming taste was lemon, and no matter how much grenadine I tried to add, it just didn't seem to balance the lemon.

The other thing I noticed is that even after freezing the ice cream overnight, this didn't harden as much as other recipes I made.

My plan for the next batch is to try balancing the flavor a bit more and adding maraschino cherries. It might add some nice texture and a bit more of that Shirley Temple feel.

Big thanks to Stef over at Cupcake Project for her inspiration and homemade grenadine recipe!

5 comments:

Stef said...

xYay!!! I'm so glad you tried it. FYI - I added the cooking time and temp to my recipe. I can't believe I left that off. Oops!

I wonder if leaving off the lemon extract would have helped your recipe. I actually had a similar problem since the lemon extract is so overpowering and ending up not using it the cupcakes.

Cakespy said...

Ha! Funny beginning. And I think I could go for that lemonade pie a la mode with this ice cream. Too much you say? I say just enough.

Anonymous said...

I love Shirley Temples, too! Thanks for the great recipe. You mentioned you used homemade grenadine... do you have a recipe for that?

toro said...

Hellow!
I live in japan.
I am studying about ice cream and sugary foods.
And I would especially like to collect data about ice cream.

Because of the link to your site.
We hope to link this site please!

Unknown said...

Stef, I tried another recipe, I will post about it soon.

Cakespy...more ice cream a problem? NO! The more the merrier!

Heather, the recipe is right there if you click on the words "Homemade Grenadine" -- thanks to Stef!

Toro: Please link to our site, by all means!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails