Friday, June 10, 2011

Scooper Bowl 2011

We went out on Tuesday to the Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl, the ice cream event of all events, as it was the coolest day forecasted of the three days the event was in town. And thank goodness we did because the next day was about 100 degrees and then on the last day there were severe storms and they had to shut Scooper Bowl down all together. Total bummer for those who were planning on attending on the last day. S0 we got there at about 12:15 and it was CRAZY busy. The lines to get to the ice cream were deep, and there was kind of a lot of pushing to get up to the counters and then back out with your flavor. Next time we'll be a little smarter and wait a couple hours after the gates open to avoid the mad rush. Check out this rough video of the scene:

Later on by about 1:15 pm or so the crowds seemed to calm down and though there were still a number of people milling around each stand, it wasn't as hard to get in to grab the flavor you wanted. Thank goodness because we've been pretty lucky in the past of getting at all the flavors without the extra elbows.




We went with three honorary Scoopaliciousers and two of the wonderful three actually helped us review the flavors. Thanks CSR and CAR! See below to hear what we thought of all the great flavors we tried.


Note that those without comments means we didn't get a chance to try them. Amazingly one truly can eat only so much ice cream in one sitting, even us!


Baskin-Robbins® 
line was so long at first and by the time we got back we were too full :(

Lucky Mint
Firehouse #31

S'More the Merrier (didn't try at SB but did recently try and its soooo good)
Oreo®Gold Rush



Ben & Jerry's®

Americone Dream

Late Night Snack
TAS:  Great texture as B&J always does. Good but not memorable.
CSR: interesting but not worth the calories
CAR: agree with CSR; I prefer some of the other flavors with salty mix-ins like "everything but the..."
Milk and Cookies
TAS: Love the added mix-in of the cookie dough..I was so full at this point I hardly remember...coma time
BSS: Cookie's 'n Cream with Cookie Dough...not a brand new idea, but still two flavors I really like, so...not going to complain. I wish the cookies were bigger.

Bonnaroo Buzz
TAS: YUM....I love the slight flavor of whiskey and coffee ice cream is one of my faves. This is a keeper for me.
CSR: the toffee bits were the highlight, after they were gone it really wasn't worth the stomach ache






Ciao Bella Gelato®

Chocolate S'mores  
CSR: YUM!
BSS: The first one of the day! Didn't taste too s'mores-y to me, but it was still yummy. I only really recall tasting the chocolate. Liked that the base was chocolate, which was a nice change from the usual vanilla base I have made it in. I must also admit that the one I picked off the counter was completely melted so my review is a little warped.

Mango Sorbet
TAS:  Hot seller at the booth. Overheard comment.."..this would be great to use for a summer cocktail" ..I might just have to try that
BSS: The last one of the day. Refreshing!

Wild Blueberry Sorbet  
CAR: My favorite of the day; rich, natural blueberry flavor

Key Lime Graham Gelato
TAS: Not overly tart and just the right touch of grahams. Great smooth texture..I LOVE this as I've said before. Def a fave of mine not just here but in general  
CSR: #1 favorite by a long shot
CAR: I had just a taste of CSR's and it was delish! Great texture and flavor
BSS: Verry light and refreshing tasting. Not usually a key lime fan, but this was a real treat. I wouldn't have picked it normally, but it was so crowded I was taking whatever I could get!




Edy's®

The Original Rocky Road
Cookies and Cream
Orange Sherbert
Espresso Chip


Friendly's

Vienna Mocha
Mocha Chocolate Chip
Rocky Road
Nuts over Caramel
TAS:  The caramel ice cream was awesome....prefer less nuts but the combo of the walnuts and the caramel was good
CSR: delish although I think I could have done without the nuts

Hunka Chunka Peanut Butter Fudge  
CAR: Tasty; if a little light on the PB flavor
BSS:I liked this! It had the Friendly's peanut butter that I LOVE. Kind of an ice cream version of my favorite sundae.




HP Hood/Brigham's®
Hood Frozen Tangy Yogurt Rasberry Vanilla

Hood BoSox Brownie
CAR: lots of soft brownie bits!
BSS:good but actually kind of reminded me of Cookies 'n Cream/Oreo.  
Brigham's Oreo  
CSR: classic

Brigham's Mocha Chip  
CSR: I wish I didn't waste the room in my tummy!  





SoCo Creamery
Vanilla
Mexicali Chocolate
Dirty Chocolate
TAS: First impression (never heard of SoCo Creamery prior)...super premium. SO smooth and velvety and amazing chocolate flavor. I prefer ice cream with mix-ins but this was phenomenal  
CSR: deadly
BSS: LOVED. So rich and amazing. I'm a new fan of SoCo after trying this one flavor!
Espresso Cookie
TAS: Not too strong and awesome smooth texture....this place rocks. Glad they came to SB  
CSR: Would have liked some cookies crumbled on top :)

Berkshire Berry  
CAR: okay, but VERY subtle, like fruit-on-the-bottom grocery store yogurt


One of the highlights of the hour we spent there was meeting Bryan from team Ciao Bella (Thanks Jess for making the connection....that's him above) and the lovely employees at Ciao Bella. They truly are just as fun and approachable as their product.

We thought this was fun too, the "Text your Favorite Flavor" idea. A fun way to keep all the ice cream lovers engaged. I would love to know what flavor got the most votes. I just looked around their site and FB page and saw nothing. Oh well :(

UPDATE: We have a winner....Ciao Bella's Mango Sorbet...so deserving!



Despite the crowds, the Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl 2011 was a blast, we tried some new flavors, we ate way too much ice cream, and even Violet, who only got to people watch (not eat ice cream) enjoyed the event! And most importantly the event raised $358,596 for the Jimmy Fund. WOW!



See you next year Scooper Bowl 2012!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

So where do I sign up to review ice cream? Be still my beating heart. I always wished someone would hire me to taste pies but ice cream.. that's definitely above pies.

Wonderful post and such a great cause too!

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks Maureen! I love your site too!

A pie taster -- that would be fun too!

The problem with both pies and ice cream is they are difficult to ship -- so samples are limited! Haha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails