We don't know what could be better. The city's best ice cream makers (great ice cream + a big heart) head into Union Square, Somerville for a showdown to show that Boston is indeed an "Ice Cream City." Don't know if we need to prove it (I mean, what with Scoopalicious hailing from Boston, don't we already know this?)
Like the Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl, this all goes to a good cause, The Juniper Fund, a scholarship "for a metro-Boston musician to pursue higher education" (from The Juniper Fund website) created in memory of John Hall.
We can't wait! Thanks to our friend John for the heads up!
Citysearch's local-centric dessert blog, Sugarbomber.com, and Twitter's @eatBoston are teaming up to produce and promote a showdown of the Boston area's finest ice cream makers on Saturday, August 22nd at Grand in Union Square, Somerville. Our goal is to prove Boston's status as an 'Ice Cream City' by showcasing the area's best ice cream makers and other purveyors of fine frozen desserts.
- What: The 1st Sugarbomber.com / eatBoston Ice Cream Block Party @ Grand
- When: Saturday, August 22 3 PM – 6 PM (Rain Date: August 23)
- Where: 374 Somerville Ave, Union Square, Somerville in the Family Center parking lot adjacent to Grand.
- Cost: $2 suggested donation to The Juniper Fund.
- Event RSVP: RSVP via the facebook event page
- What Vendors Are Bringing: 2-3 large batches of the ice cream flavor(s) they think can take down any flavor in the city.
- Participating Vendors: Christina's, Toscanini's, JP Licks, Chilly Cow (of Arlington), Wheeler's Frozen Desserts (Vegan), B.Good's Shakemaking Rickshaw. Awaiting confirmation from a couple others, up to date info on event page.
Grand: Grand is a retailer specializing in contemporary home furnishings, apparel, vintage curiosities and gifts.
Citysearch: Citysearch is a leading online lifestyle guide with the most up-to-date information on businesses, from restaurants and spas, to hotels and retail.
eatBoston:@eatboston plumbs the depths of Twitter to deliver the freshest info on Boston eats, restaurants and local food events delivered daily.
The Juniper Fund: The Juniper Fund is a music scholarship fund, established this year in memory of John S. Hall who passed away in 2004 after a brave battle with cancer.
Info via Aaron of WheretoEat and Christine of City Search. Thanks much!