Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

I have to start by saying this is probably the best ice cream I have made this far. From the super creamy texture to the rich caramel flavor and smooth milk chocolate chunks, this is one I know I will make again! FYI...for anyone wondering what is Dulce de Leche, it is spanish and is a rich, silky and smooth caramel.

So my brother is over and asks...can you replicate B&J's Cinnamon Bun? Not sure I can even come close to replicating anything B&J but I'll sure try and especially since I love anything cinnamon. For anyone who hasn't tried this newer flavor its caramel ice cream with cinnamon bun dough and a caramel streusel swirl...totally awesome! I had the luxury of trying it at Boston's all you can eat Scooper Bowl and it was by far my favorite. So when I was given this challenge I jumped at it. So this recipe really is part one of my experiment...I thought I'd try to master the base before figuring out the mix-ins thus the chocolate chunk mix-ins instead of dough. To be honest...I have no idea how to replicate the cinnamon bun dough so I have to do my research and testing first....oh and will accept any ideas you may have ;). So here's my fabulous recipe for homemade Dulce de Leche ice cream. It's actually quite simple and basic since I used the one and only Lebovitz's vanilla ice cream as my base and added the Dulce de Leche syrup ( I used Nestle's La Lechera) instead of making it myself. I started with the vanilla base and added the syrup before refrigerating...and this created the silkiest, richest, and super super creamy and heavenly caramel ice cream. I also used a Perugina milk chocolate (go figure another Nestle brand product) to add to the creaminess and voila...Homemade Dulce de Leche ice cream with Milk Chocolate Chunks. Enjoy!!

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chunk 
Ice Cream
1 cup milk
pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanlla bean
5 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
few drops of vanilla extract
1 15oz can of Dulce de Leche
3.5 oz milk chocolate bar (chopped in chunks)



Heat milk, sugar, salt. Split vanilla bean, scrape beans into mix, add bean. Let steep for half hour. Stir together yolks in a separate bowl and slowly add heated milk. Then pour back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens to lightly coat a rubber spatula. Strain the custard into the heavy cream, stir in Dulce de Leche until smooth, and cool over an ice bath. Refrigerate 4 hours then freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions. Mix in chocolate chunks before freezing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I have no bright ideas about how to imitate the cinnamon bun dough - but I'll be thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try your recipe and then compare it to B&J version. It looks really good and I can't wait to taste it.

Anonymous said...

I meant CHUNKS! ha ha

Tina said...

The consistency of your ice cream after churning should be thick enough that the chunks remain dispersed in the ice cream and will not float to the bottom. I churn the ice cream to a good soft serve consistency then fold in the chocolate chunks. Good luck...this is one of my favorites I've made. Super creamy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails