Saturday, July 25, 2009

Recipe: Strawberry Basil Ice Cream

I know, I know! I keep pushing these emails to the limit in fitting them into the day. However, in my defense, I did spend all day making ice cream and sorbets for my ice cream shindig next weekend. Husband Kevin will tell you instead that I spent all day making a mess of the kitchen. Technically, I think we both are right.


There are a couple I want to share with you, but since the Strawberry Basil Sorbet just looked so pretty simmering in the pot, I thought I would share this first. Unfortunately the quality isn't great -- I was mid-process in a couple of ice creams, and the situation didn't allow for me to go find a real camera. I had to grab the closest one -- my phone (which for the record, I just had to scrape custard off of...)

It's a simple strawberry sorbet to which I added some purple and green basil leaves. I nearly used all the basil in my garden, because my garden really isn't doing well this year with all the rain.

Ingredients:
  • About 4 cups of strawberries, hulls removed
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups of water
  • About 10 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped (I used purple and green in this recipe, but you can use all of one color)

Directions:
  1. Put all the ingredient in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  3. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor.
  4. Pour mixture into a clean bowl, cover, and cool completely in the refrigerator.
  5. Churn the mixture according to manufacturer's instructions.
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails